Sunday, February 28, 2010

Going To My Corner

Going To My Corner — Blue Ink Alchemy

Writer's Corner When I get really serious about writing, when it's "crunch time" for an assignment or I feel I really need to bang out some words on The Project, I head over to my corner. Like a carpenter's workbench or a mechanic's tool chest, my corner is a place I've set aside to work on writing and nothing else. The PC runs Word, Notepad++ and little else, as the hardware is a bit on the older side and I don't want to tax it. I even have a separate CD player for music. My work is saved on a USB drive so I don't have to worry about any sort of hard drive mis-reads or other catastrophic failures. But one of the best things about the corner is its isolation. I'm not just talking about its distance from the couch, the television and the gaming consoles, though that is a factor. The PC in the corner is not hooked up to the Internet. As much as it might be necessary to research something on occasion, when I want to put myself in the writing zone, it's best to minimize my distractions. Heck, it's taken me a while to put this little blog post together, and I've been planning on hitting 10k on the Project since last Sunday...
Blue Ink Alchemy

No comments:

Post a Comment